Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Politics is Ugly I Don't Want to Play Anymore

Those you know me, know I am not the most vocal about politics. I have found it is a subject that really brings ugliness out in people. I have found my friendships, and family relations are better if we just don't talk about politics.

To understand how I feel, I do need to share my political party feelings. I am a member of "Don't violate my rights, I won't violate yours". Yup, that's me. I don't like that we have just two political parties, just two choices to cover how I feel? One thing I can tell you about donkeys and elephants.. they both stink!

I love how each party conveniently forgets how they acted the last time they lost an election. I hear now how the President Elect is not being shown respect, however I remember when our current President was elected how the other side spoke of him. So all in all elephants and donkeys are sore losers. Lots of belly aching and gloating.

There were some really heated issues in this election. I found myself really having a hard time deciding which way to go on a couple of issues. I thought about it, researched it and voted the way I felt was the best choice and to protect my rights.

After the election I read some posts on my message board by some people I thought were friends. I learned because of how I voted that I am:

"not quite evil but, on the spectrum between "good" and "evil," , they are waaaaaay closer to evil than good without actually reaching that description, as I define it."

"Just because I don't automatically judge someone as evil doesn't mean I automatically want to call them good, either."


So I am not good and close to evil!! Imagine my shock. This has brought me huge sadness over the last few days. Then on top it "friends" started to put gloating or complaining messages on my facebook page. I have deleted them, but really enough. I never put anything on my facebook page about which way I voted for President or anything yet they had to put this garbage on MY FACEBOOK.

So I have had enough, I feel ready for a rubber room. Don't forget I moderate that message board, so since Eric's birth I have been fielding a few complaints every day about what people say. Who would have thought that after the election it would get worse?

What is sad is I am reading in the news, people are accusing each other of hate, and retaliating with hate, violence, and disrespect. I know I won't change my mind being spoken to or treated like that. It is sad that people can't just talk about how they feel, you never know when a mind can be changed. Instead people just want to bully. Seriously, is this going to change your mind on anything?

So in this election, some feel people lost rights and I lost friends. I am heartbroken about the whole thing. I didn't call someone not good, or close to evil because they didn't vote how I felt. I respect that in this world people are different and have the right to see things in other ways. To look at the whole sum of a person and not just an action. Hopefully someday people will grow together again in our great country without having to have another 9/11 to wake us up.

God Bless America, land that I love.

4 comments:

Steph and Keith said...

I agree - politics is no fun. I think it's good to agree to disagree, because we all are free to have our own opinions. But it's sad when friendships change because of it. Well, we just have to hope and pray for the future!!

nikki said...

Sigh. You have said a lot about what I have been thinking about lately. Politics is super ugly and I had hoped things would calm after election day, not get worse. How sad about your friendships! I have been doing my best ostrich impression and hiding my head trying not to pay attention to all that's gone on around me.

Our Little Family said...

Well said, my friend. I hope that this country gets it's stuff together before a wake up call comes!! Sorry to hear about your "friends", I guess you find out who really is a friend after something like this.

Phostenix said...

There is little that surprises me anymore. Civil discourse on the internet would be one, though. :)

I started that thread in an attempt to get people to think about how mean-spirited the dialog can become. I thought that we could at least all agree that people who disagree with us on a particular issue are not necessarily evil....

Politics & religion are discussions about our strongest beliefs. It's easy to get emotional & angry about these kinds of topics. I think the discussions I've had online over the past few years have helped me to not take things so personally. I'm genuinely interested in what others believe & how they come to believe those things. I don't expect everyone to see the world as I do, but I at least want to present my views. I think it's important for people to hear both sides.

Most people don't like conflict (the ones who do seem to like online forums), but I think the public exchange of ideas is a useful & good thing, ultimately.

1 Peter 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Grace and peace,

Steve