Wednesday, August 17, 2011

First Day of School.... Ever

This summer I spent most of my time having Eric looked over by doctors, speech therapists, audiologist, and various people full of opinions on the speaking abilities of Eric. Eric talks very rarely. The kid just has nothing to say. I know many would say he takes after his dad, but believe it or not I was the late talker parent not him. (I did rapidly catch up and leave Jason in the dust). Jason and I were growing concerned that Eric only says a few words and trying to figure out what he wants is often difficult.

I think Eric's personality is the reason he doesn't talk. He isn't a needy child, really mellow, and often just gets what he wants himself. Well all the testing I had done confirmed it. Eric is totally normal, no mouth issues, no ear issues etc. He simply isn't interested in talking.

So this leads to a day of visiting my friend Jenn telling me about the pre-school program offered where we live. First getting them to test him took forever but they did screen him for this program. At first he was rejected as he was too functional in all developmental areas other than communication. Then they did add him to the program.

So Jason and I prepared to send Eric off for his first day ever of school. We were nervous. So was Eric. He clung to his dad and even started shaking. He also threw up. Poor guy. Then we had breakfast


Someone left the brownies from the day before where Eric could reach them, needless to say I won't let that happen again!

Jason took T.J. to his first day of sixth grade. I can't believe it. I still remember taking him to his first day of kindergarten. 7 years and two houses ago
Jason worked from home that day so he could see the boys off and be there to help Eric load on the bus. The bus pulled up to take Eric to pre-school and he started to cry.

I had to carry him on the bus and buckle him in. He started screaming.

He was screaming so loud we could hear him as the bus pulled away. I started to cry and Jason got misty (a claim he denies). I felt like the meanest mommy in the world. No matter how much we talked about it, I don't think he understood what was going on. We actually think he didn't understand that he'd be back with us in a couple of hours.

I was nervous. I know that the staff and the school were taking good care of my boy. I just worried about what was going through his head. I was also afraid he cried through his whole day.

When the bus pulled up three and half hours later, Jason and I practically ran out the door. Eric grabbed onto his dad for a great big hug. He looked so happy! The helper on the bus informed us that Eric had stopped crying on the way to school and was just fine after that. That was a relief.

I love this first day of school project Eric made

Jason took Eric to McDonalds for a celebratory lunch after his first day, and then Eric took his nap. When he woke up he grabbed his backpack pointed to the front door and proclaimed "I go"

Sorry T.J. that this blog is mostly about Eric. T.J. had a good first day of sixth grade. He even went to his friends house to play after. He likes his class and even gets to sit next to his best friend. I think T.J. will have a great year at his school! My only complaint is that T.J. and Eric do not have all the same days off school! yuck!

So here are my boys on their first day

Eric hugged his brother all on his own! So cute

That evening we went to Olive Garden to celebrate first day of school. Brooke even got to play with her food and yell at daddy for not scooping soup into her fast enough


So it was a successful first day! Yeah!

Jason and I were so nervous about Eric's reaction to the bus, that Jason went into work late the next day to see him off. When the bus pulled up, Eric went looking for his backpack and calmly walked out the door. We knew he was fine.

When he got off the bus coming home, he yelled to the bus, BYE! and waved. The helper on the bus told me he is perfectly behaved and happy on the bus!

Today Eric ran to the bus when it picked him up! Sweet! Good to know he wasn't traumatized!

1 comment:

Jer and Cam said...

Yay Eric way to brave the school bus and be such a big kid! And so glad TJ got his best friend in his class, that makes all the difference. Here's to a great year!