Then in high school my mom and I bought "Blaze" my 1990 Chevy Blazer that I kept until this year. Blaze is a very important part of my life. It was the only good thing that came from my father's death. Money I got from his passing paid for her. Sadly a year and half ago, Blaze stopped really being reliable and costing a lot to repair. A couple of years ago we bought me a BMW which I named Zach. Jason chuckles every time I refer to a car by name.

Blaze was an extra car for a while, until we gave her to my sister-in-law Kacy to use at BYU. I cried. You laugh at me, but Blaze has been a part of my life for 17 years. When I think of some of the life events Blaze has been a part of:
-Leaving for College
-Moving to AZ
-Driving to my wedding
Jason seemed to find my reaction of tears interesting.. but then
His 98' Honda Accord decided that 235K miles were enough on one transmission. "Henry" didn't like going over 45 mph any more. We felt the age and mileage did not seem worth it to fix Henry so we sold him. After eight years, Jason found it a little sad to let him go.

That is Henry in front, and Zach is the green car behind. Bye Henry!
I found Zach too small to deal with the kids, so I convinced Jason that we needed a van. I KNOW! You can pick your jaw up! I REQUESTED A VAN! What has happened to me? Oh yea, I remember, two kids! So enter into our life my 2005 Toyota Sienna, Sarah! The name came instantly when I thought of being a soccer (or hockey) mom!
Jason has taken over Zach, and learned that it is a small car but it works for the daily commute. I am enjoying "Sarah" no matter how "uncool" she may be. It is so nice to have room for the baby, Tyler, and groceries all at the same time.
So as Julio Iglesias might say, to all the cars I've loved before who've travelled in and out my garage door. I'm glad they came along, I dedicate this song, to all the cars I've loved before.
Oh and if you have me drive your car, I'll name it too!
5 comments:
Don't ever let anyone tell you driving a van is uncool! There is nothing better and I totally stand by my opinion!!
We named our family's cars when we were growing up too and always felt emotional when it was time to give them up. Great post!
I've already named my car (and Greg's car, too, since he lets me drive it). If you drove my car, would you use my car's names? Or would they get middle names? Does Jason call your cars by the right name? Greg does!
I don't name already named cars
Yes he calls them the right names and laughs when he does
Glad to know I'm not the only one who names cars!! YAY! That was a hilarious post...our 4Runner is named Poser (because it's a 2 wheel drive instead of 4, like it should be) and our Audi is named Mr. Belvedere (cause he is like a butler who does everything- toast your buns, tells you what music is playing, has hidden little compartments...). Hope you and Eric are feeling all better!
Our family named everything, including the first portable dishwasher - you know, the kind that hooks to the kitchen faucet.
I don't remember all the names, but I do remember the'56 Suburban that was "The Clunk". I think the '69 Bonneville was unimaginatively "Bonnie".
My '67 Ford F250 that I had for 20 years never got a name, but my Escort was named "Lew", since those were the first 3 letters on the license plate. I kept the plate for the new car, so it's now "Lew Two".
Post a Comment