Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11


Being from New Jersey, I still miss the sight of the Twin Towers. I still remember that morning when they were attacked. Early in the morning both my cell and apartment phone kept ringing. My friends Eric and Martin were trying to get a hold of me. I finally answered one of Martin's calls when he told me the Trade Center was being attacked.

I thought of my friend Amy who months earlier told me of her new job, and how she worked on the 86th floor of the south tower. For two weeks, I tried to call her, couldn't get through. Then I got an email from her. Turns out she had taken a personal leave of absence from her job. She was so lucky on so many levels, she would have been just one floor above the plane impact point.

I also thought of my friend Chris who was at NYU medical school. I was lucky to get an email from him about a week after the attacks. His pregnant wife, also had a job in one of the Trade Center buildings. Luckily she was in Utah at the time of the attack, because she was several months pregnant at the time.

I also have an old school friend Kelly, who lost her brother in DC.

This is the only moment in my life, when the world seemed to stop turning.


I still remember Chris telling me his stories of working in the rubble and trying to help the children in the hospital who were scared of every noise.

I am grateful for the small blessings peaking out of a tragic day. Thankful for all the brave men and women who have tried to help in the smallest of ways. I only hope one day, our country can feel as united as we did on that day.

1 comment:

JJMTEB said...

Designed to bring us back to where we were on September 12th, 2001 - the day after the attacks: http://www.the912project.com/