
However, I seriously doubt if this kid can (or will) actually read. Here is a conversation in my home this morning.
Tyler: Where is the bubble bath?
Me: On the ledge by the tub with the other bottles.
Tyler: The purple bottle?
Me: Yes.
Tyler: I can't find it.
Me: Look harder
Tyler: It isn't there.
Okay there are three bottles on this said ledge. 1 yellow that says baby shampoo. 1 green that says baby shampoo. 1 purple that says bubble bath. It's that simple. Tyler walked out with the green baby shampoo one asking if it was bubble bath. I asked him what the bottle said on it, reply "I don't know". That's the baby shampoo Tyler.
I walk in there and ask Tyler why he can't find it. He tells me again it isn't there. I walk him over and put his hand on the bottle.
Tyler: I didn't know that was bubble bath
Me: Did you read what is said on the bottle?
Tyler: No.
This is where more of my hair falls out.
We went through the same thing grocery shopping last night at Wal*Mart. Again my 4th grader who reads at a 5th grader level couldn't read a single label of anything I put in the cart, the whole time I kept being asked, what is that? I didn't purchase anything new. Basic stuff, milk, flour, fruit bowl, cereal. However he won't read the label. I even ask him, well what does it say it is, reply, I don't know? What isle are we in? Then I usually get a reply like "the cereal isle?"
I hope other parents find the humor in this I do. I know Tyler can actually read, and read well. He has shown time and time again he has high intelligence, he's just lazy like many ten year old boys.
I can't wait for the day when he actually tried reading the directions of something he's trying to build, that will be a good day! Sure be less frustrating for Jason and me.
4 comments:
I never have met a man who would read directions! :)
Don't you just love this age??? I mean this is just an age thing right?
Why should he read a label to help him find something? That's what moms are for!
I think it's a family problem... I can barely find things in the pantry.. and believe me, they're labeled well.
Post a Comment