09-12-2001 is a historic day for me. Our country was in the aftermath of a major tragedy from the day before. I had a date set up for lunch that day, that I almost canceled because of the events of the previous day. I decided since work was at a stand still, I'd might as well keep this date. I had been looking forward to meeting this guy. We had talked online for a couple of weeks, and we seemed to click, so why not? Plus I knew nothing could happen with him, so no pressure.
Of course I am talking about Jason, who were you thinking of? Let me tell you the story of how we met:
After a year of being in my singles ward*, I had dated most of the available guys worth seeing. I also dated a few not worth seeing. I signed up on a dating website called, www.ldsso.com. The site was for LDS singles looking to date. I wanted to branch out and a few of my friends were on there as well.
*for you non-LDS people that is a church congregation of singles that attend church together with the purpose of finding a spouse. I am not kidding. :)
I seemed to be meeting some nice guys. I worked on the road then traveling to Bosie, SLC, Las Vegas and back to Phoenix. This site kept me entertained by allowing me to date while on the road. I also met some nice girls who I was able to become friends with. Enter Felicia.
Felicia is important because without her, there is no Jason. This is Felicia and I circa 06/2001

Felicia was on the site too, but didn't renew her subscription. She was searching for singles one day, and was excited to see a guy from Anthem on there. She advised not too many LDS singles were around her area of the valley so she wanted to met him. However, without a current subscription she couldn't write him, so I let her write from my account. She provided info about herself and how to contact her. I told she was crazy to want to meet this guy because 1) you could tell his ex wife was cropped out of his picture 2) Where the heck is Anthem anyway?
Well a couple of weeks went by, and this guy hadn't written her back yet. Is he crazy? I mean look at her, she's beautiful, nice, fun, and most of all, my friend. I saw this guy in the chat room of the site one day, and gave him a hard time for not contacting her yet. He assured me, he'd write her, he just hadn't had a chance yet.
That weekend Felicia and I went to a singles country swing dance. (those who knew me from high school you can close your mouth now) I introduced her to a guy I knew, David. Well you can guess the rest, they got married a year later.
So the next time I saw this other guy on the ldsso chat room, I let him know he was too late. His loss. How lame he didn't write her sooner. I told him he was stupid.
He and I continued to chat, I was not sure what drew me to him at first. I teased him about the ex cropped out of his picture and learned he was newly divorced, strike one. I learned he had a young son, strike two. I learned how far Anthem was from Mesa, strike three. I just saw him as someone I'd message every now and nothing could happen with him.
After a couple of weeks, he suggested that we meet for lunch. Now Jeanne of seven years ago was all about a free meal*, and I did enjoy chatting with him online. He had three strikes against him so nothing would ever happen with him anyway.
*Come to think of it, I am still for free meals!
We met at Arizona Mills Mall and ate at a now defunct restaurant call Alcatraz Brewing Company. Most of this date was spent staring at the TV, and talking about the events of 9/11. I enjoyed my time with him and wanted to see him again, but did Jason want to see me again? I got my answer at the end of lunch. He walked me to my truck and proceeded to give me his home, work, and cell numbers. Yup, hook, line and sinker. However nothing could happen with this guy.
So now,Jason has known me for seven years and still hasn't gotten the "seven year itch". I am grateful he hasn't figured out yet that he could do better, because I am very happy being married to him. Good thing nothing could have happened with him.
I'll write more about the courtship in other blogs. Some funny stuff
No comments:
Post a Comment