We seem to have toys all over. Whether they are under T.J.'s bed, in a toy bin, or in another toy bin. It was a firm reminder to me that we have too many toys for the kids when our friends the Stirlings brought their twin boys over. They looked at the toy bin downstairs and commented how many toys we had. Opps, those are just a few of what this house has. A small sample. Great we have a lot toys for Eric compared to what TWINS have!
Here is one area where the problem seems to be. First of all Jason and I always have certain things we want our kids to have. Then we get them. Sometimes I get something I want them to have not knowing Jason got something himself. Therefore we have a shelf in a closet with several items we are now holding for Christmas. See we are trying to stick with one really good gift because....
Grandparents. Our kids have a lot of grandparents. There are four grandmas, a grandpa and two great grandmas. And for a while there, T.J. was the only grandchild of most of those grandparents. Therefore they spoiled him too. You know like sending 11 things, or six, five, and so on.
I still remember one Christmas I counted and T.J. was given 57 gifts! Too bad a recent computer accident wiped out all my pictures prior to 2008. You'd die! The gifts were blocking our front door! I have no idea how Santa got into the house.
So I want to give a bravo to Grandpa Jack who sent Eric ONE gift for his birthday. This water play table. As you can see Eric loves it. He got all wet last night while I worked in the garden. His favorite part was when he learned that he could fill to cup with water, and walk over to me, and dump the water on me. This was followed by his hysterical laughter.
Actually I'll give props to the grandparents lately for being better about the gifts. As more grand kids have joined the family, the gifts have reduced. They are also giving us more books, which is great for the kids!
Still my home is overrun with toys! What a curse of a blessing!
4 comments:
Hahaha! I swear Nate and I had this SAME conversation this weekend. (It was Collin's birthday= more stuff.) Our kids have too many toys...not sure what to do about it, because most of them are pretty cool. Asher & Collin are the only grandkids on my side, so they get spoiled a lot. I like the one gift rule. But I also like it when on Christmas morning, it looks like Santa went crazy giving gifts, ya know? :)
I agree. Santa is focusing more on experiences this year than toys. (But the kids have a great time unwrapping the canned food he brings! That one was pure Mark!)
You noticed that our boys did not complain ONE LITTLE BIT about playing with Eric's toys! Our boys are on the exact opposite end of the spectrum, they are the last grandkids to be born on both sides, AND they live far away from all of their grandparents. Oh, and their parents are cheapskates. So if Eric needs someone to play with his toys, tell him to give them a call!
I am with you all the way! We just took bags and bags of toys to charity, and the kids still have too many. They don't play with them much anyway. Really, they get bored with those toys in five minutes. That is one thing that I have learned as a parent - toys are often just a big waste of money. The more toys they have, the more likely they are to complain about being bored. Ironic, huh?!?
Post a Comment