Monday, May 19, 2008

Chuck E Cheese is a Corporate Conspiracy

To turn our children into gamblers!

I got to spend three lovely hours on Saturday at Chuck E Cheeses. Not my favorite place to be, but, I like spending my time with friends while our sons greedily spend gold tokens on silly games.

It was Jake's birthday. One of Tyler's friends and a fellow cub scout. Happy Ninth Jake!!! I am really bummed to lose you to the Bear Den. You have been awesome!

Jake is on the far left, Tyler is wearing the black

While avoiding a headache from the noise, I had an inspired idea. I think Chuck E Cheese and other similar pizza places/ game centers are owned by the same corporations who run Vegas casinos. Just work with me here, here are some similarities:

1) Both have you turn in real money for fake tokens or chips.
2) Cheesy games with lots of lights and noises.
3) Promise of a possible big prize.
4) Nasty looking and nasty tasting buffet.
5) Both have women dressed in outfits that their bodies are too big for.
6) Both attract enough white trash to start a dump.
7) Both have you cash out at a manned area.
8) When you do cash out, you end up with a total far less in value than you started with.

My case in point. I spent $10.83 to get 100 tokens. Tyler also got about 32 or so from the birthday party. He cashed out 388 points for prizes. I saw the sign that said 1 ticket=1 cent in prizes. So my $10.83 plus extra was worth $3.88 in prizes by Chuck E Cheese standards. The prizes Tyler obtained would have cost me less than a dollar at the local Wal-Mart, and possibly saved me a headache.

What counts is that he had fun. I guess this is what many adults use to explain why they gamble. I think the companies that own Chuck E Cheese or places like it are just trying to build gamblers for the future. So try not to make it a habit going a lot, and for heavens sakes, try to avoid the food. When even a seven month pregnant woman won't eat it, it isn't good.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

haha! The real test, though, is will a college student eat it? If not, steer clear for sure! Use Kacy as a test subject for next time. =)

Family of Disney said...

no thanks... that will require going back.

Jer and Cam said...

Jeanne you are so funny! I love your Chuck E. Cheese/Vegas metaphor. So true. I have a feeling that it won't be long before Dash has Chuck E. Cheese calling your name again!
Jake is going to miss scouts too! You and Polly always make is so much fun for them!! And by the way, he LOVES his Pokemon folder(it goes everywhere Jake goes) and the drawing book is so cool. He's having a great time with that!

Kacy Allison said...

I LOVED Chuck E Cheese when I was little. Peter Piper too. I always thought the pizza was great too lol....so i guess it passes my test ;)