Since long before I gave birth, I have been scared by Breastfeeding Nazis. This is a term a friend of mine coined for the women who are very passionate about breastfeeding babies. They are a very intimidating bunch of women who seemed obsessed with the subject and can set unrealistic expectations for new mommies. They seem to have a personal stake in whether or not you nurse. They also make you feel like a failure if you nursed a kid less than one year. I categorize most womens' feelings on breastfeeding in to these four areas:
1) The Nazi- throw away your formula sample from the hospital, nothing but the breast will do. Any subject about raising a baby turns into discussion about nursing. They take pride in how many years they nurse.
2) The Relaxed Mom. Breast is best, but sometimes you need help. Give it time, it will work. Typically nurse a year or under.
3) The I am too Busy, or it hurt. The moms who claimed to try and it didn't work. Usually these moms only tried a couple of times, and many can honestly not have the time.
4) Anyone else who has never been close to having a child therefore has not formed opinion.
Now for the record, I do breastfeed Eric. Tyler, I have the milk in me now, click here for blog on that.
I know it is very important that IF possible babies should be breastfed. It's the best food for them, it's the best experience for the child. It is comforting and always puts Eric to sleep :). However the Nazis do not leave me alone. I get questions all the time about how it is going, habits, sucking, to reminders that I should be doing it, etc.
Being a new mom I am still very private about nursing. I do not feel comfortable feeding him on the breast in front of anyone other than Jason or my mother. I don't really like to discuss it (however I am blogging on it, geez I am strange!) with anyone other than Jason, or Eric's doctor. I am sure with time I will relax about the subject and then I can be the mom who can whip it out in the booth of a restaurant. For now, home is fine with me.
Ironically, the BF Nazis were not the ones to give me the best advice or help on subject. The two biggest helps I got weren't even women! They were my husband Jason and my friend Brian. Brian even went as far as to tell me, not to let pride get in the way and make sure baby is getting the food he needs, period. Thanks for the help guys!
So watch out for the Nazis. They could be even in your own family! They are a scary lot, but if you are able to be confident in your own choices, they don't have to freak you out too much.
Hail the breast!
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I might have a comment when I can stop laughing long enough to think. ROFL
Ok, I was definitely a breastfeeding nazi, but certainly agree that there are times that it's not feasible (& laziness doesn't count!). Good for you for doing what is best for both of you, no matter what it is.
I'm not sure I can properly comment here because...I'm the Breastfeeding Nazi! And someday, should it ever become necessary (and I certainly hope it won't), I will discreetly, yet zealously, defend your right to whip it out in a restaurant or a public place whenever you get kicked out or arrested for trying to feed your hungry child.
Heil the boobs! ;-D
md! first step is admitting it! :0)
Post a Comment