Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What's in the name?

So Eric Knight B. (we don't like calling him "Dash" anymore)
I keep getting asked what if any significance is in the name. There is a lot and I'll break it down.

According the to book of baby names Eric means King, or ruler. A reference is made to Eric the Great who helped colonize Greenland. Knight means armored for battle. So our son is a great king who is ready for battle. Seems fitting if he's going to deal with stubborn parents like Jason and myself.

To start with, remember I mentioned our family tree has had a few split branches. When Jason's mother and father, Jack (John Robert B.), got divorced, she later remarried to Carl Eric Forsberg. Carl is dad to Jason too, and helped raise him since he was 6. Carl passed away four years ago.


Then here is my father Newell Knight Muirbrook who passed away 19 years ago. The Knight family name is a tradition going back many, many years.

So in honor of daddies we love, and in memorial of two wonderful fathers we miss, Eric has a name from each of his three grandpas. Hopefully he can live up to the great things his grandpas have been. He's definitely cuter :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He gets cuter in every photo!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! He sure is cute. I'm glad you both made it through okay! Wendy