The day after Eric's birthday I headed out early in the am to California. As part of our deal with Tyler's mother Anna I would bring Tyler to her. Also part of the plan was to spend time with Jason's grandmother Carol. She lives close to Anna, but Tyler doesn't like hanging out with her alone. As he said it, he's afraid she will die on him. True story!
My mom came with me to help with the 14 hour drive to Sacramento, CA. So it was me, my mom, Tyler, and Eric. Plus lots and lots of stuff in the van. I am impressed at how well my baby took the drive. The only times he cried were when Tyler decided to wake him up. This was when I wished I were Elastigirl and could spank Tyler from the front seat!
We pulled into Carol's at 7:00 which meant I made the drive in just over 12 hours with pit stops. Nice!
Then the plan stopped working for us. When I called Anna I learned that she had a fever and wanted us to keep Tyler one more day until she could recover. I thought this was reasonable, but Tyler flipped out. He had never met his new baby brother Dominick, and hadn't seen his Mom, Isabelle, and Julian since Thanksgiving. He wanted to go and didn't care if he got sick. Anna felt awful and was rethinking her request. I told her to give me an hour and I'd turn him around on it. Some conversations, tears, and bargains later, Tyler sadly agreed.
Then Tyler came to me with a request. He asked if Eric and I would take him to Nona and Popa's house. These are Anna's parents. He said they really wanted to meet Eric and me. It was now 10pm. I had spent all day in the car, I don't think I combed my hair, no make-up, smelled like sweaty baby. Yea, this is the time you want to meet your husband's former in-laws. However one look at Tyler's face and I agreed. I think I was too tired to care.
Nona and Popa were delightful people. Very friendly and welcoming. Popa feed Eric and Tyler chocolate ice cream. Popa also took time to coach Eric on walking. They were just so sweet and friendly. They seemed really interested in Eric.
Coming on the next blog... meeting Tyler's mother Anna for the first time!
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sounds like an adventure!
Post a Comment