Monday, July 20, 2009

Old Sacramento/ Meeting Anna

To occupy our day before my planned July 6th 6pm meeting of Anna at her apartment, Carol, my mom, Eric, Tyler and I went to see Old Sacramento. It was more shopping than sights I had expected. I never did find the "Stagecoach Bank Museum" that I heard is there. We had issues with Tyler going far ahead of us with the baby, which made the day frustrating. Eric seemed to con most of us out of ice cream for himself! What cuteness can accomplish. I did get a couple of cute shots of Tyler at some of the sights.After we had worn ourselves out, we headed back to Carol's condo to rest and get ready to meet Anna. Tyler was excited but occupied himself by doing his drawings and then explaining each tiny detail to his great-grandma!Then it was time to drive Tyler over to his mother Anna's apartment. She lives about 15 minutes away from Carol's. When we got into the van, I felt like I needed to throw up the whole way. It was hard to buckle Eric in his car seat. Let me explain some details.

I have never met Anna face to face. In the beginning of my relationship with Jason things weren't as smooth as they are now with Anna. Anna understandably was very jealous of Tyler having another "mother" in his life. Before Jason and I married, Anna stated I was not a part of Tyler's life. When she and Jason met up to hand Tyler back and forth, Jason was told I was not to come. If Tyler was talking to Jason on the phone, I was not allowed to speak to him, or she'd hang up the phone. Being a mommy to my own little baby, I can understand some of her feelings.

After Jason and I got married, we headed to Sacramento with Tyler in order to give him to Anna and continue with our honeymoon. When Jason left to drop him off, I stayed to visit with Carol. Jason was shocked when Anna asked where I was? We had become so accustom to me being requested to not be there, and now she wanted to meet me? My honeymoon is not my ideal time to meet the husband's ex wife, so I was happy to stay with Carol.

Now this is where I am childish and silly. After learning Anna wanted to meet me, I made myself unavailable to her from then on. Those of you who know me, know I can be like this. It's part of my nasty streak. Of course having a work schedule that had me working Saturdays helped. However as time soldiered on, and we all grew more into our roles in Tyler's life, and the silly feelings faded. However, we still never met face to face because, when Tyler turned 5 (two years later) he could fly on the airplane, and now it was a SWA flight attendant that would hand Tyler over. Anna did not make it out to Tyler's baptism when he was 8 plus a few other trips never came to fruition for her to come to Phoenix. So no face to face.

Now we are back to me driving the van across Sacramento wanting to throw up, and sad to let Tyler go. Other thoughts running through my head, I wish I was thinner, I wish I had my hair done, I hope this goes well, I wonder what her other kids are like, is there anyway I can just drop Tyler off at the curb and go back home? How awkward will this be? I always figured Jason would be with me when I met her, and I am flying solo.

Tyler also has some strange ideas. When he was younger, he wanted all of us to live in one house. He's outgrown that idea, and now I think he wants us to live next door to each other. I was afraid of what Tyler might think of the whole thing. Anna and I get along really well on the phone and email. Tyler wants us to be best friends. Now I think that is a little much, so I was concerned how Tyler would see the meeting.

When we got there, the urge to vomit had subsided. Tyler's older sister Isabelle (12) was playing in the parking lot, waiting for Tyler. We picked her up in the van, so she could help carry Tyler's bags.

Now I can't remember who was carrying Eric or what, but somehow we got up the stairs to her apartment. Anna greeted me with a smile and a hug. She immediately wanted to see Eric. I don't blame her, he's cute as can be! I got to meet Julian (age 4) and her baby Dominick (age 4 months).

My impressions:

Isabelle is a total tom boy. She dresses in skater like clothing. She keeps her hair pulled back in a pony tail. She is really sweet and reminds me of my sister-in-law Kacy. She and Tyler look like full blooded siblings, instead of half.

Julian is deaf, and all boy. He is very rough and tumble. This bugs Tyler as he loves his personal space. Julian is the type that will push you out of his way and expects you to push back. He looks so much like Tyler, but with darker features.

Dominick, how can you not love a baby? Full of smiles and slobber. He and Eric took to each other right away.

Anna, long blond hair and green eyes. Very friendly, likes to go out and do things. She and I are very opposite personalities.

She has a two bedroom apartment that is filled with the joyful mess of kids and toys. Anna and I talked for an hour and 15 minutes while the children tortured each other. Anna confided in me, she is struggling with Julian's dad over custody. She talked about how Jason was a good man, even if not for her to be married too, and how she knew he was good for Tyler.

I was happy to be able to thank her for Tyler and trusting me with him.

Knowing that the chances of Tyler being with all his siblings is rare, I tried to capture a picture of all five of them. Let me know which you think is best to blow up for his room.


Some other cute moments. Isabelle adored Eric!
The highlight of the visit, was Isabelle asking me if Eric and I would sleep over! That made me laugh. Oh that wouldn't freak Jason out too much.

Eric and I left, I was relieved it had gone so well. Of course I called Jason right away to report it went so well. Also now, Tyler was gone from my life for the next month! :(

No comments: